Monday, November 28, 2011

Artist Spotlight: Florence + The Machine


Admittedly, it took me a while to get into Florence + the Machine. I had heard Dog Days Are Over and thought it was a nice song, but never thought much more of it. It wasn't until I was forced to hear the debut Lungs album at least 3 times at my job one day when the regular music playlist wasn't working. I was already sold from the first listen, especially the song Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up). Their songs are so catchy and bombastic to me, which I love. The production on most of the them is incredible to me; the harp and drums really get me. Also, I like that there is a bit of variety in the songs, which I think is smart. It shows that Florence can go in whichever directions she chooses to. Lyrically, I can relate to a lot of the themes that Florence sings about. My favorite song right now would be Blinding. Everything about that song is perfect to me, and the line "No more dreaming like a girl so in love with the wrong world" really stands out to me. As a reviewer from Drowned Sound so accurately pointed out, "listening to Florence and the Machine can sometimes feel like being led by the hand through a story world by a girl who has forgotten to grow up." To me, they are like the perfect pop music- I can dance to the songs and really feel them because they actually have meaning.

Which leads me to her new album, Ceremonials. Now, this album to me has a very different feel to me than the first. Lungs has more of an airy daytime feel to me, while Ceremonials has a much darker vibe throughout. That's something that I don't mind at all, seeing as how I've always been drawn to darker sounding music in general. The few lighter songs on the album actually had to take some getting used to. The only real problem I have with this album is the fact that it's much longer than Lungs and really does drag on at some points. I feel like the first three songs (which include the buzz song What The Water Gave Me and single Shake it Out) are perfect, but then the next three I could really do without. From then on the only other song I would take out is All This and Heaven Too. If I listen to the album without those songs, it's much more enjoyable to me. I am including the first three bonus tracks in this as well because I actually feel like those are definitely three of my favorite songs that didn't quite make it on the album (I'm not really sure why- they're amazing and better than some of the ones on the album). The electronic track Remain Nameless has a completely different feel than the rest of the songs, so I can understand it's omission from the album. Even so, it could have been a nice change of pace. I'm still deciding which I album I like better. As I see it now, Lungs seems to have some of my absolute favorite F+tm songs, while Ceremonials flows better as a whole with many good songs.
“I want my music to sound like throwing yourself out of a tree or off a tall building or as if you’re being sucked down into the ocean and you can’t breathe. It’s something overwhelming and all-encompassing that fills you up, and you’re either going to explode with it, or you’re just going to disappear.”
Florence + the Machine - Only If For A Night by Talenthouse

1 comment:

  1. It took me awhile to get into Florence + the Machine as well. I didn't actually get into them until this year after I heard Shake It Out. After that I bought all their stuff. I also prefer Lungs over Ceremonials, although the latter has a special place in my heart for introducing me to the band.

    Oh and this is leia_solo from Dreamwidth. I found my way here through your profile XD.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...